Helping English Learners and Partners excel with Research-based Practices and Support (HELPERS)
Our associates provide pre-service and in-service teachers in high needs school districts with professional learning to improve instruction for English learners. Sponsored by the US Department of Education and Office of English Language Acquisition, we serve teachers in Ohio, Texas, and Puerto Rico.
1) Train K-12 paraprofessionals/preservice teachers for bilingual & ESL licensure;
(2) Expand K-8 in-service teacher capacity to advance ELs language & literacy proficiency with small group instruction intervention in hybrid & virtual learning contexts with coaching;
(3) Support implementation with fidelity of EL evidence-based professional development to in-service teachers, instructional coaches & administrators for project-based learning expeditions-hybrid & virtual contexts;
(4) Increase parent, family & community member engagement in the education of ELs using high impact evidenced-based practices: family-school connectors, 1-1 parent tutoring & adult English classes;
(5) Model & disseminate effective practices using technology as an intervention to network EL school-parent-family-school-community.
We lead this consortium of four diverse community organizations:
- Educational Solutions (DC)
- Family & Children First Council (OH)
- Get Cr8tive (OH)
- Melissa Becce Coaching & Evaluation (CT)
Funded by US Department of Education