Educators & Families for English Learners
Our associates provide pre-service and in-service teachers in high needs school districts with professional learning to improve instruction for English learners. Sponsored by the US Department of Education and Office of English Language Acquisition, we serve teachers in Ohio, Texas, and the District of Columbia.
Our work addresses the need for professional learning in English Language Learning instruction and partnerships with families in a number of ways:
- developing and implementing online PD via virtual learning network to enhance and refine EL-pedagogical content knowledge
- providing face-to-face PD surrounding instructional best practices for ELs
- developing turnkey training for instructional specialists to sustain effective PD
- advancing student focused coaching to support EL academic language acquisition
- training teachers and staff to adopt a response to intervention (RTI) and trauma-informed strategies to de-escalate classroom conflict
We lead this consortium of six diverse community organizations, (Center for Inspired Teaching, Latin American Youth Center, Briya PCS & Mary’s Center, Family & Children First Council, Somali Community Association of OH, & Ethiopian Tewahedo Social Services), a state education agency (Harris County Department of Education), and Educational Solutions, DC & Youth Policy Institute, NY.
Funded by US Department of Education
Eakin Elementary’s students, Columbus, OH